The kitchen is the place that the house can always find by smell. Fresh cakes, grilled meats or rich broth exude its wonderful aroma throughout the house. But, what if these incense mix with the unpleasant environment of the sewer? Do not rush to scold the hostess, who does not follow the sink, the reasons for this smell can be many. In this article, we will try to disassemble them all, as well as understand how to eliminate the odor under kitchen sink.
Causes of odor under kitchen sink
The smell of the shell has many reasons, so before starting the fight with it, you need to know where it came from. The main reasons are the following:
- The process of decomposition of food residues that have been deposited in the walls of the siphon began. Siphon: a curved pipe under the sink, which serves as a kind of water plug for the vile aroma of sewage. But sometimes bacteria can accumulate in it, which releases this terrible amber.
- Blockage of mud or grease in the pipe. Everyone knows that water can “bloom” or “wander”. In fact, almost the same happens with pipes. If the water does not move for a long time, it begins to emit an unpleasant and specific odor.
- Siphon leak or leaking. Especially in this latter case, a pronounced stench often appears. Water begins to dig from the sink, fungi and molds form, which, in turn, also cause an unpleasant odor.
- The sewer system does not work properly. This is most often due to improper installation.
The reasons are clear. It remains to find the one that fits your needs and understand how to eliminate the smell of the sink in the kitchen.
Fighting with the problem of odor under kitchen sink
To prevent leaks, you must carefully remove and inspect the hose from the siphon to the sink and from the pipe to the siphon. If no leak is detected, it is most likely a blockage. The same reason will be indicated by the fact that the water enters very badly in the drain hole of the sink.
And, of course, the easiest way to eliminate this problem is through a plunger:
- Pour enough water into the sink so that the rubber part of the plunger is completely submerged.
- Hold it firmly against the surface of the sink and start making sudden movements up and down.
This is likely to save the day. Otherwise, we recommend that you use any remedy for obstructions, which is sold in all hardware stores, and these remedies are used in the same type:
- Pour or pour the substance into the drain.
- Fill with the indicated amount of hot or cold water.
- Wait a while – from 5 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse well with tap water.
This should help eliminate the smell of the sink in the kitchen.
- It is also very common that the cause of the smell of the sink is a clogged siphon. To clean it, you must unscrew the hose, after replacing a bucket under it, and remove the remains of food and grease with your hands. When inserting the hose in its place, pay attention to all the gaskets that are in place; otherwise, the siphon will begin to leak.
- If all these funds did not help, contact the plumber, because it is better to entrust the specialist with more complicated sink care.
Prevention of unpleasant smell of washing.
Wonderful aroma in the kitchen, which pleases everyone at home: this is a real reward for any hostess. And so that the smell of the sink does not bother very often, we recommend preventing the blockage. This will help him as a store chemist and a popular council.
For example, once in 1 or 2 months, you can perform prevention with soda and vinegar:
- Pour a spoonful of soda into the drain hole.
- Pour the same amount of vinegar and close the drain plug tightly.
- After 5-10 minutes, rinse the drain with a strong pressure of hot water.