Decorating small houses: 9 very useful tips and ideas
Guide on modern ideas, tricks, and tips for decorating small houses. How to decorate a small house step by step and with a low budget.
Decoration in small houses
The word “home” has been transformed in recent years. Decades ago, it was synonymous with large houses with a patio and a garage included. Today, the trend has led us to small apartments, where each square centimeter is gold and the decoration, functional and cozy, has become the protagonist.
There are still many people who fear small houses, but creativity is the key to success in practicing decorating small houses and a lot of common sense.
It also influences our budget and the purpose of the property; If we rent a smaller house such as those offered in OLX or we are ready to buy, where the changes in decorating can be greater when practicing work.
Therefore, before underestimating or discarding a small space, it is important to ensure that it has the vital characteristics to satisfy our needs.
Today, we review some tips on decorating small houses that you can practice easily and without a budget if you decide to join the trend of small homes.
1.- Concentrate on the potential. The distribution
Avoid diverting your attention only to the number of square meters. You have to see it together, and for that, you will need to make a small sketch of the house. Two tips:
- If the sketch – flat you do it by hand. Use a sheet with squares (DIN A-4 – Folio size) to represent it as real as possible and not out of place. Add the measurements!… It doesn’t need to be super detailed.
- You can use some free online tools to make a plan. For example Planner5d (It is not necessary to register and although it is in English, it is very easy to use)
If you are going to practice works. It is likely that by redistributing the walls or removing unnecessary walls you will get a greater sense of spaciousness and can create an open concept, which automatically expands the range of decorative options.
Perhaps you can end up discovering other options; that the hallway to the kitchen, for example, serves to place stools for eating or working.
Once you have the plan, you should ask yourself a few questions about the house. This way you will have a clear objective of the stays:
- For what purpose and function is space I am going to decorate used and what activities are going to be practiced.
- How are we going to enjoy this space at home and what habitual activities are we going to practice.
- How many people are going to participate in that space? If we will be the whole family, if it is a work area if it is a room only for sleeping, etc.
First, it is to understand the functionalities, and later, to practice decorating a small house.
You may also like to read, cobblestone pavers. To know more visit our blog http://houseilove.com/.
2.- Less is more and make it useful
This is the basis of the minimalist concept and the secret to creating a space that of serenity instead of looking like chaos. The reality, over time we increase the “junk” in the home and distort a specific style.
Mountains of objects that only manage to distract attention and stun you with the mix of styles that you will get.
Our advice: keep only what you think will lead to a better lifestyle. The useful, it is accepted, the objects that do not have a real utility, in the decoration of small houses, have no place.
3.- Have fun with the color
The trend invites you to wear soft colors and pastels. For a couple of years, the recommendation is to decorate with one or two colors and keep those hues. Of course, dose the emotion and focus on the goal: create a haven of peace that has your personality.
Colors greatly influence our mood and body temperature, we must decide the color of each room according to its use. Look at the following infographic about the colors and their effects. It is very useful!
Quick color tips on small floors:
- Dark colors give the feeling of reducing space. At most, use it on a single wall.
- Light gray always comes in handy in small home kitchens.
- Soft gray, white, soft green and blue. They are perfect for the bathroom as well as transmitting cleanliness.
- In small houses with low ceilings. Paint the ceiling white, it will give a feeling of higher altitude, especially in dining rooms and hallways.
- In small houses with very high ceilings. Paint the ceiling two shades darker than the walls. The effect convinces anyone!
4.- Functional Furniture
Many brands are focused on furniture and accessories proposals that play with the double function. This is great!
Beds with storage space (so-called “closet beds”), kitchen bars that function as a dining table, or even small tables that easily fold up without taking up space while not in use. They are just some of the options that you will have in the market.
Remember that the more free space you have, the greater feeling of spaciousness and well-being you will generate. So use “multifunctional” furniture, we know that they are not cheap if you have a small budget, but they are very useful.
5.- The boxes to organize are perfect
The problem with a small house is being organized. Here the boxes play a vital role and are the ones that will keep the house in order, not only from an object perspective but also from an order-free and object-free visual.
Today, the market offers us all kinds of boxes, with all kinds of materials and decorated in a thousand ways, take advantage of it! These, without a doubt, are practical elements that will make your home look better.
And don’t forget, there are also baskets of a thousand colors. Look at the different options to combine with the interior of the home or your tastes.
6.- Pay attention to lighting
Like color, lighting also plays an important role in the interior design of small houses, which, also, is coupled with the intensity of color practiced on the walls.
Useful decorating tips in a small house to consistently light spaces:
- Curtains are not good allies in decorating a small apartment. In any case, to be used, they should be transparent and let the light pass through.
- The lamps to be used must be small in size. We don’t want it to be the center of the space or the room.
- Also, consider using the sconces. Today they sell them with cool designs and clean lines.
- With lighting, you can differentiate spaces. It is a good decoration option that has nice visual effects.
- Some lamps are multifunction. In other words, the same lamp has two functions, such as, for example, one for the desk and the other as an auxiliary light for the living room.
- Remember that you can also put lighting on the wall. Sometimes we forget, and aesthetically it looks great.
- If it can be, use adjustable light bulbs. You can change or separate the environments in an easy way.
Light bulbs are important when decorating, but taking advantage of natural light is also important. A luminous space looks clearer and therefore wider.
Natural light will fill you with life, joy and will help make the space healthier. If the place does not have a good light path, lean on indirect lights to create different atmospheres that add movement and fun to the home.
7.- Furniture at height
As strange as it may seem, choosing “aerial furniture” for television anchored to the wall, or with light legs that raise it a little above the ground, will make you visually see the floor and this will give you a feeling of spaciousness.
The same thing happens with the tables in the dining room and the bookshelves. Think about it! It will also be easier to keep clean and will minimize dust accumulation.
And remember, we have an excellent article on how to decorate an apartment or house with good ideas and advice.
8.- Use vinyl or wallpaper
When we practice decorating a small house with little budget, we have to keep in mind that objects that have a lot of volumes can easily become a center of attention that we do not want in addition to taking up unnecessary space.
The use of vinyl such as wallpaper is a way to avoid other decorative objects that may take up too much volume; vases, pictures with bulky frames, decorative shelves, etc.
When decorating, a photo-style wallpaper, for example of a landscape, can give a much larger feeling of spaciousness in a small room.
As a tip, if you are going to use wallpaper, do it only on one part of the wall on a small floor (if you can between pillars) and it is not a visually important area. There are excellent drawings, but they can also cause a feeling of “visual excess”.
9.- Soils in small houses
If we are going to practice a reform in which we have to change the floor, several points must be considered:
In a long stay or room. The park slats must go in the longest direction of the cabin. If you use ceramic tiles, try to make them rectangular and place them like the park. You will have a feeling of spaciousness!
Forget about using a park floor with narrow slats (herringbone pattern) or small ceramic paving pieces.
Try to make the floor of the entire house a single material throughout the house or at least a very similar color. Here, visual continuity and a feeling of spaciousness are generated.
Microcement flooring is almost the perfect material for small houses. You get a floor without grooves, smooth and generating visual continuity.
Always use light colors whatever the material. In addition to carrying a greater sensation of lighting, it provides spaciousness.
You may also like to read- http://thebinderblog.com/